Thursday, November 4, 2010

"Pottery Barn" Espresso Finish

I need to give props to Jennifer Hill of Creative Cabinets and Faux Finishes. I worked for Jenna until I got too big pregnant with baby #3. Jenna and Susan Fossum taught about 90% of what I know, the other 10% coming from lots of trial and error on my own. While working for them I was shown how to do this finish, which we dubbed "Pottery Barn Espresso".

This pine dresser came to me in great shape, with beautiful paint and stain work. The problem was with the color combo - a light stain showing the dated pine on top, and turquoise paint on bottom. I wanted to paint and distress, but to prevent the turquoise from showing through I would have to thoroughly strip and sand, a very messy and time consuming process. Since I had recently done two black dressers, I decided to shake things up a bit and go for this finish. I think the end result is very neat.


  1. Hi Jennifer, I think it looks great! What exactly did you do to achieve the Pottery Barn look - did you use more than one color of paint? What color(s)?

    Thanks for any info, I'm looking for info to paint some cabinets.

  2. This is exactly what I need to do. I need directions on how to get this finish on pine. Please share the secrets. :-)